Buying an air purifier to counter the high polluting of the environment levels? This air purifier buying guide aims to help you take an informed decision.
Buying an air cleaner is tricky. With no industry standards set up in India, individuals are subject to the brands. The costs of air purifiers can range between anywhere between Rs 8,000 and Rs 1 lakh. There are many factors to consider before buying an air purifier. It is vital to undergo the specifications of every model and not blindly believe the sales executive. This buying guide is designed to help you take an educated decision.
What to remember first
Prior to you heading out to buy an air cleaner, note the immediate following:
- Note the dimensions of the area (preferably in square metres) where you want to install an air purifier
- Remember that portable home air cleaners are meant to cater to only 1 room
- Avoid Ionizers, UV light-based models. These electronic home air cleaners release ozone as a byproduct that have adverse effects.
- The expense of replacing air filter and electricity costs should always be kept in mind. For best results, electronic home air cleaners should really be kept running always.
Certifications to keep in mind
- There are two main standards- AHAM (American) and China certification- which are taken seriously in the market. Most home air cleaners that exist in India don’t have some of these certifications. Both the certifications ensure the very least quality and gratification standard for an air purifier model.
- Some popular AHAM Verifide brands are Blueair, Bosch, Electrolux, Honeywell, LG, Philips, Sharp, Whirlpool and others. Keep in mind that all models from these brands may not be certified.
- Some brands like Xiaomi follow Chinese GB/T 18801 air cleanser standard.
Form of Filter
- The quality and variety of filter determines the potency of an air cleanser. Specific filters target different the different parts of air. Probably the most commonly available filter type is HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air). It can filter most (up to 99.9%) air borne particles of small sizes as high as 0.3 microns. For general usage, HEPA filters do the trick.
- Some brands provide ultrafine particle filter combined with HEPA filter to target particles even finer than 0.3 microns (Divide a hair strand into 240 pieces and also the width of just one such piece is the same as 0.3 microns). Note that HEPA filters try not to remove odour.
- To focus on odour, you’re going to have to go for an activated carbon filter along the regular HEPA filter combination. There are lots of forms of activated carbon filters. Many of them are light mesh-like which prevents cooking odours. Having said that, some filters offer activated carbon pellets that could remove gaseous and chemical odours.
- Some brands even let you customise the filter depending on your requirement.
- Air cleaner filters usually do not kill air borne germs and bacteria in general. You can easily look out for filters with antibacterial coating. However, avoid UV light-based models.
- Few air purifier models offer a washable pre-filter to fully capture dust and other large particles. Opt for a model with pre-filter because it boosts the expected life associated with filter inside.
- The performance of a specific air cleaner model is rated by its coverage area, Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) and Air Changes Per Hour (ACH). While brands will boast concerning the CADR and coverage of a certain air cleanser model, they will decide to remain silent regarding the ACH. This is certainly something you really need to ask and find out before buying an air purifier.
What is ACH?
- Air Changes each hour (ACH) is basically how frequently an air cleaner can clean the air of its claimed coverage area in one hour. This is important because pollutants constantly enter the room additionally the air cleanser has to constantly clean the air. Because of the pollution levels in Delhi, choose for an air purfier that offers 4 ACH. This implies the atmosphere purifier can perform cleaning the air associated with the entire claimed area four times in one hour or every a quarter-hour the atmosphere inside is totally replaced.
- The catch here is brands have a tendency to hide the ACH rating while showcasing an increased coverage area and CADR. If an air purifier can cover more square feet however if its ACH is about 1 or 2, then it should be less efficient. Some brands like Blueair offer 5 ACH.
Other stuff to notice:
- Price of replacement filters and their lifespan. Filters usually cost when you look at the number of between Rs 1,500 and Rs 2,500 with a lifespan of around six months. Also, don’t neglect to check into the option of filters.
- Considering electricity costs, try to search for an air cleanser with energy star ratings.
- Noise levels must be around 35 decibels as soon as the fan is running towards the top speed. Usually do not opt for models with above 55 decibels rating. It tends to be disturbing while asleep.